There can be a multitude of reasons why a message might not make it through. Some of them could be on our end like this morning or they could be on the senders end. Here are possible reasons:
- It could have accidentally been filtered out by Mail Foundry. Its good to check the emails that you get at the end of each day.
- If you use Outlook, your own Junk filter might have filtered out the message
- If our server is down, the message would bounce back to the sender. More likely if their email server is setup correctly, it will keep trying to send the message after an hour or two and then again 24 hours later until it gets through and if it can't get through then it will bounce. We don't have any control over how someone else sets their email server.
- The sender could have typed your email address incorrectly and didn't notice that it bounced back as undeliverable. With all the spam some people get, they could easily miss a bounced message.
- The sender's server could be down and its still sitting in their Outbox. They thought they sent it.
- Their email server could be blacklisted by one of the reputable blacklists and our server would simply refuse it.
- They could have a virus on their computer and their email they send out might contain the virus and their server or ours could possibly filter the message out.
- You might have a filter setup in your email package that moves files to a different folder if it meets certain criteria and the message in question may have met that criteria unintentionally.
- If the email came from someone at a large company, they can have all kinds of filters setup to prevent employees from sending things around the office, etc and it can unintentionally filter out legitimate email.
As you can see, there are many, many and these are just some of the reasons an email might not make it through.